Monday, August 28, 2006

To Gopeng and back ...

Going back to Gopeng really brought back many memories to me. Good memories of my beloved grandparents and many childhood memories of me playing with my cousins. The corner coffee shop that my grandfather used to bring me for morning yum cha, has now converted to a malay food stall. Sigh! The wooden newspaper stall where I used to buy snacks and paper dolls, is no longer there. Sigh, sigh! The corner ais kacang and rojak stall which I used to go each time I'm back in Gopeng, is no longer there. Sigh, sigh, sigh! The shoplot that we use to stay in is still there, but has been renovated and converted into a Toto shop. Sien! Really sien!

I wish I can bring back the times when my grandfather was still around. The times when he held my hand to cross the road while we head to his favorite coffee shop for morning yum cha. I can still remember memories of him, chattering away to me in his tong san hakka which I can't understand a word of. From his gentle hold to my hand and his frequent strokes on my head, I can feel the love he has for me. Sigh!

I wish I can bring back the times when my grandmother was still around. The times she translates for me what my grandfather said. The times I used to sleep with her at night and wake up with her in the morning. I can still remember the distinct smell of the chinese medicine that she applies on her knee to ease her arthritis. It actually smells like Sarsi! Seriously! I can still remember the time when she hides all the carbonated drinks in the cupboard just to keep them for me and my sisters to go to Gopeng for our school holidays. My grandmother has never ceased to remind us that we are her favorite grandchildren. The love and understanding that she has offered me, I wish I can get to feel it again. Sigh!

Gopeng has changed alot, but the memories I have of the town and my dearest grandparents will remain in my memories and heart forever! That's Gopeng to me...

No comments: